Brochevarevarura (2019)

I was initially a little apprehensive of watching it, because I was afraid it would be chock-full of masculinity, and have one-dimensional female characters. Fortunately though, I was in for a pleasant surprise- both Mithra (Nivetha Thomas) and Shalini (Nivetha Pethuraj) were well-crafted characters, and added their own charm and nuance to the proceedings. I also appreciated how the R3 Batch (Sree Vishnu, Priyadarshi and Rahul Ramakrishna) were smart enough to pull off what they pulled off (spoiler-free zone) and yet stupid enough to do things like lose phones, etc. It made them feel more real, something which is lacking in 90% of comic capers I feel. Plus their friendship was itself so wholesome (R3 batch + Mithra) and I would honestly recommend people to go watch the movie just for that aspect. Rarely does friendship feel so natural in our Indian cinema, and we must appreciate whatever we get.

Spoilers ahead:

I was genuinely so shook at the #plottwist, which I guess means that the movie was well shot enough that I never suspected both stories to be occurring simultaneously. This gives me more hope for Vivek Athreya's next with Nani and Nazriya, and god knows I need some at this point in cinematic history. Also, the asshole Indian father representation was on point- so much so that I actually teared up a little when he slapped the tutor in the end. Speaking of the tutor, the best moment of the movie for me was when R3 batch beat him up. Doubtu ledu. I do wish they hadn't involved Vishal's (Satyadev Kancharana) dad in it though. It felt a bit too forced, considering how used we are to the "interlinked lives" trope. Otherwise, chef's kiss for the catharsis that scene gave me.

Spoilers over.

A major negative of the movie for me was that it kind of lagged in the middle. Had it kept up the same pace in the second half as it did in the first, it would have been a masterpiece. Otherwise, I really don't have any complaints. Considering the reviews I have heard and seen of "new" Telugu movies, this one comes across as a gem, and I would encourage everyone to go watch it for a good time. It's funny, but also requires you to use your brain a little, and also has its "awwww" moments, AND moments of ultimate catharsis. In short, the full package. We stan. Good to know we can still trust some people in cinema. <3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Aasai (1995)

Prem Patra (1962)