Haseena Maan Jaayegi (1968)

It's hard to find fault with a movie that has actual dream boy Shashi Kapoor in a double role. However, I must say that Johnny Walker was completely wasted in the parallel comedy track- he deserved to be a full-fledged part of the main story in some capacity, or at least have a comedy track that did justice to how hilarious that man could be.

Also, I had zero idea about the plot before I started watching it, not even about the double role, because I only wanted to see this movie because of the song 'Bekhudi Mein Sanam'. Yes, that's the kind of power Rafi Saheb & Lata Tai have on my soul. So basically, everything hit me fresh, and as a result I was that much more invested in the look-alike drama. I honestly felt as confused as Babita's character, which is just how this movie is supposed to be appreciated, I suppose. It's a good coincidence that I watched this right after Johnny (1980), which had a similar look-alike drama. Also, there were parallels to one of my all-time favourite movies, Hum Dono (1962), which also involved the same war and similar consequences- don't worry, I shall spoil nothing for my zero readers. In short, I loved watching this movie, with Babita's acting skills and sassy character being an added bonus. Shashi sir, as usual, has my whole heart.

My only regret is that it felt a little too long, and of course, the under- & mis-utilisation of Johnny Sir. It really could have been one of my favourite movies otherwise. Sigh.

PS- No, I don't want to talk about how Babita married Shashi's nephew in real life. (The age gap between Shashi and Randhir is 9 years though, so it kind of works? And is not that creepy? Okay, so I am talking about it. Anyway, so the age difference between Babita and Shashi is also 9 years only, so it's fine. Not creepy. Totally fine.) Bye. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Aasai (1995)

Pokiri (2006)