Mugavaree (2000)

Spoilers ahead:

How I wish films from that era did not have the mandatory comedy and action tracks, which just take your attention away from the main plot. Also, saying "films from that era" makes me feel so old while referring to a movie from 2000. 

Had those two aforementioned elements not existed, I would have definitely enjoyed this movie a lot more than I did. Ajith did a brilliant job as the protagonist Sridhar, and my heart went out to him. I even cried a little in the scene where he's pleading with the music director. And even though the ending was conveniently (but also abruptly) happy (it was so obvious that it was stitched together at the last moment), I was actually okay with it, simply because I wanted Sridhar to be happy and successful. Jyothika was a delight as always, and I can never get enough of her bubbly charm. Special mention for Raghuvaran and K. Viswanath, who played Sridhar's elder brother and father, respectively. 

I only wish that the filmmakers had kept Mugavaree as simple as possible, and not added all the glamorous songs (I have zero complaints about Jyothika in that blue outfit in the beginning of the Poo Virinjachu song), forced comedy track, and of course, the fight sequence. It would have been even more of a beautiful and moving film otherwise. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Aasai (1995)

Pokiri (2006)