Bulbbul (2020)

My very last film of the year that was 2020, and a fitting end to it, I must say. There is a separate essay I must write about how my relationship with cinema in 2020, how I sought comfort in it, and how I understood parts of myself better through watching movies and stanning my faves- but for now, I will just say that I am overwhelmed by how much art and artists save our souls, especially in the darkest of times. Thank you to so many people for existing. Your existence has helped me cope more than you'll ever know.

Now, coming to Bulbbul: it was a good attempt at horror, but I felt it oversimplified things so much that the scary aspect got a little subdued. Tripti Dimri was absolutely spectacular, and in control of what she wanted you to see and what to feel. That kind of talent will take her far, and I am very excited to see her evolve as an actor. If only this movie had been a little less predictable, and kept to its tone of being a gets-inside-your-skin-and-terrifies-you-for-days kind of movie, I would have loved it. But the catharsis I got while watching Tripti unleash herself more than made up for the flaws. Slay, queen. 

Glory to our women directors, producers, and writers. May we see more and more of them in the years to come, and keep on hearing their stories and fall in love with cinema a little more. Men, move. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aasai (1995)

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Pokiri (2006)