Master (2021)

First of all, HATS OFF to Anirudh Ravichander for blessing us with yet another zero skip songs album. The man, the king, the absolute legend. Secondly, half the reason why I wanted to watch this movie was because of the Vijay-Vijay Sethupathi chemistry and holy shit, it was totally worth it. Thirdly, this was my first movie in a theatre post the mess that was most of 2020 (a mess in which I mostly watched movies in my room and missed cinema halls terribly at times), and honestly, more than anything, I am so glad that this was my return to the theatre life. There were enough people in the auditorium to get Thalapathy masssss feels (not a worrying number, but just enough, especially considering that I don't even live in south India). 

VJS easily steals the show- he was just too damn good in every single scene, and reminded me very seriously of Amrish Puri's Mogambo at times. Not in the sense that the two characters are similar, but more like similarly iconic. It felt so good to see people whistling for my man VJS, and I am happy to report that he did not let us down. IF ONLY I KNEW HOW TO WHISTLE AS WELL FFS.

As for the "Master" himself, I have personally never found Vijay attractive before this, but my gawd he looked HOT in this movie. Confirms my theory that I can only simp for celebs who are 45+ (Vijay is 46, btw). I was going to say something really explicit about Vijay here, but then I remembered that I must at least pretend to be professional in this "review" so back to serious talk. I loved how his role was written, especially how there was no extra-heavy focus on his "tragic back story". The way he recited plots of popular movies whenever someone asked him why he was the way he was won me over, because that is something I can totally see myself doing LOL. I also appreciated that they didn't invest too much time in a romantic sub-plot, and lose focus of the main plot which was in itself so engaging and also SO relevant. Another thing I liked was how there was no unnecessary jingoism about how kids are the country's future, etc. Kids deserve to be respected because they are human beings, and not because they are human resources. Such a seemingly obvious message, but sadly, it is relevant and important in more ways than one. 

Spoilers ahead:
Usually not a fan of car chase sequences, but this one was TERRIFIC. I was blown away when Vanathi (Andrea Jeremiah) started shooting arrows at the trucks. Poetic cinema, masterpiece, feminism, THAT SCENE WAS EVERYTHING. 
Spoilers over.

There is no better way to end this "review" except to quote Thalapathy Vijay himself: life is very short nanbaa, always be happy <3

PS- stan Vijay Sethupathi for clear skin and good grades. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Aasai (1995)

Pokiri (2006)