Bhoothakkannadi (1997)

I honestly don't have the words to express all that I felt after watching this movie. For one, it's easily one of the best written films I have ever seen. Lohithadas does such an incredible job at tracing the protagonist's life, that when the (heartbreaking) climax happens, all you feel is a profound sense of tragedy. 

Mammootty, as Vidyadharan, gives one of the finest performances of his career. I mean, I have seen him in some truly pathetic movies, and even there one can tell that he is a good actor, even though his characters are usually the sort of men you warn other people (especially women) against. But here, my god. His presence is towering, but also deeply nervous. He is too afraid of a lot of things, but he is never a coward. He is a man in love, but he has been so bound by casteist hierarchy all his life that it takes prison to break him out of it. And in all this, Mammukka shines. It was such a treat to witness him in all his artistic glory here- the climax will haunt me for years, I just know it.

But it's not only him who makes this movie the masterpiece that it is. Sreelakshmi as Sarojini complements Mammukka perfectly, and their chemistry and easy camaraderie lull you into a comfortable idyll, even though you are aware from the very first scene that Vidyadharan is in jail. Technically too, the film is amazing- the music, cinematography, and of course, the beauty of rural Kerala all come together to enhance the plot. 

I feel like I just ranted in this "review" without saying anything of substance, but that is because I am still so in awe of this movie. Maybe I'll be a little more coherent on my rewatch, but I do want to say that this is probably one of the best movies to come out of India, and you must watch it if you haven't already. Also, I'm an official Mammukka fangirl now- just wanted to announce in case it was hard to tell. Hey, don't judge me for my pathetic attempts at humour, it's how I cope!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Aasai (1995)

Pokiri (2006)