Magalir Mattum (1994)

This is the feminist dose I needed to be injected into my system. It's entertaining as only a 90s film can be entertaining (in the best way possible, let me clarify) and it's as harsh as only the male gaze at an office can be. And of course, it's as wholesome as only the bonds of sisterhood (intersectionality, yaaasss!!) can be. Rohini, Revathi and Urvashi shine as Pappamma, Sathya, and Janaki respectively, and I love how, unlike most "woke feminist" films, they have not been lazily written at all. Their back stories are fleshed out properly, and their relationships outside the office space, and where they come from and who they are, it's all been sketched well enough to add more depth and conviction to how they behave and react in the workplace. And I don't think I even need to mention how fabulous these three ladies are as actors, and how they bring in so much to every role that they are cast in. I mean I just did, so let me continue- I have been fangirling over both Revathi and Urvashi for some time now, and both of them just never disappoint. And to add to this immensely talented duo, there's Rohini ma'am, who basically stole every scene that she was in?? The Holy Trinity was invented right here, and you cannot convince me otherwise. 

I must also acknowledge how the feminist speeches were never inserted randomly or preachily. They were quite cleverly woven into conversations, just like the ones we have regularly with the women in our lives. I also liked the use and placement of songs- they never took attention away from the main plot, and made the proceedings more hilarious. Nassar sir, of course, was in top form as always. Not a single complaint against the man. Kamal Haasan's cameo did not overshadow the rest of the story, a rare feat in itself. In short, this movie is pretty much perfect and I implore you to watch it if you haven't already. It's also making me want to drop everything and make a Letterboxd list tracing the journey of feminism in Indian cinema. The impact!! Even after 27 years!!!

To conclude- can u even call yourself a cinephile if you don't love Revathi with all your heart?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Aasai (1995)

Pokiri (2006)