Theri (2016)

Just the perfect balance of wholesome and mass I needed after being scarred by a creepy film that was full of masturbation. The way Joseph/Vijay (no, he's actually called Joseph/Vijay in the film only) interacts with his daughter, and the way they call each other baby made me very soft very quick. The Vijay-Samantha romance made me feel all mushy but also made me laugh, because both of them are damn funny performers, effortlessly. And of course, the Vijay-Raadhika relationship was another highlight for me, with its wholesomeness and comedy. Yes, this "review" is pretty much an attempt to write the same thing 34 different ways, and I don't even know why. All I know is that every time I need my emotional support DILF, he is right there with everything that I need- a good laugh, a good cry, and of course, the MASSSS scenes. Very glad to have this man in my life. 

As for the politics of this movie- they're problematic (short version). Just because I'm a fan doesn't mean that I'll try to justify what I see. The film very conveniently reduces a complex systemic issue that has been plaguing society for a long time to an individual's glorification arc. That's not how we solve the problem of r*pe culture, friends. Kindly do not be influenced by a mass movie, that too with a cop as its protagonist, and inculcate its politics as your own. And if you do want to read more about r*pe culture, there's a ton of resources available on the internet, kindly take a look. 

In conclusion, I just might learn how to whistle, so that I can be fully prepared when I go see Thalapathy65. 

PS- I fully believe in ACAB, but umm... that shot where he's lying on his Jeep?! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prem Patra (1962)

Mella Thirandhathu Kadhavu (1986)

Saajan Ki Baahon Mein (1995)