Soul (2020)

It was such a delightful experience watching this movie. I honestly did not expect to love Soul as much as I did, but its lovely balance of entertainment and wholesomeness won me over. Even a cynic like me was left with a big wide smile plastered on my face at the end of the movie, and I am soon going to change the fact that I don't watch too many animated movies. Yes, this movie won me over that much.

One of my favourite parts of Soul was the music. It was enchanting, breath-taking and calming all at once, and really conveyed just how in love with music Joe Gardner was. As a consequence, you feel every bit of his desperation and anxiety, and forget that objectively, his frustration is nothing but a ridiculous tantrum. My second favourite part is, of course, 22. For the first time, I understood what Taylor Swift meant when she sang "I don't know about you, but I'm feeling 22!" More than Joe, I related to the existential dread of 22, and at the cost of sounding corny, I must say that I learnt something all the way with her and through her. It was a hilarious but touching journey, and I'm glad I made it with her. Man, now I feel like hugging her, wherever she is. Her impact!!

As for the movie's philosophy, it might seem simplistic to the overly intellectual, but I prefer to think of it as feel-good and much needed in the year 2021. So thank you to the makers and everyone responsible for making this happen. I appreciate. Go watch it if you're in the mood for some light-hearted fun with a whole lot of soul behind it!! (Ayy @ myself for the pun, hehe). 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Aasai (1995)

Pokiri (2006)