Aani Maani (2019)

Spoilers ahead:

One of the most important movies chronicling contemporary India and its anxieties. Aani Maani is both poignant and clever, and doesn't give any easy answers- this can be best seen in the internal tensions within the family. I loved how the relationship between Nazo and Tarannum evolved, with Affi as the common point for their affection and their individual longing for beauty and an ease of life that seems more and more distant as the days progress. Special mention to the "Ghar Ghar Khelein" song as one of the most perfect examples of symbolism that I have ever seen. I think the movie won my heart with this scene only. 

I was initially quite ambivalent about the ending, but upon further reflection, I realised that it was actually perfect. Nothing speaks louder about the senseless killings of Muslims (this phenomenon is a pandemic in itself) than the silence that is broken by a father's wail. That is all I can say- for the rest, you have to watch the movie. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Aasai (1995)

Pokiri (2006)