Marhi Da Deeva (1989)

I wish I had more knowledge and a better understanding of rural Punjabi society, so that I could have appreciated this film a lot more. I'm afraid a lot of nuances flew past my head- guess I should have read the book first. However, I must say that all the performances were invigorating, and to be honest, made me want to read up more on the caste hierarchies prevalent in Punjab. That's the best part about a good social issues film, I think, that it makes even the ignorant person want to find out more about the themes it addresses. The music and camera-work are flawless- the songs will stay with you long after the movie is over, as will the beauty of Punjab, which is both stark and vibrant at the same time. 

PS- Deepti Naval in the ending sequence is beyond beautiful. I just wish we had more of her throughout the movie. 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Aasai (1995)

Pokiri (2006)