Hum Tum (2004)

What can I even say about a movie that, apart from being a beloved classic from my childhood, is also freaking iconic from the beginning itself: as my movie partner pointed out, the removal of ritualistic items (and may I add, positioning them as an object of mirth) is symbolic of the post-90s liberalisation, globalisation and westernisation that was at its peak when this film released. 

Rhea Prakash is easily in my Top 5 Rani performances, while Karan Kapoor is definitely my favourite Saif performance. They have such amazing chemistry, which is the most important thing in any rom-com. I love their enemies-to-friends-to-lovers storyline, I love the power with which Rhea gave her coffee order (I wish that was me), I love the Dimple Kapadia reference, I love the entire album (no skips!!), I love Shenaz Treasurywala's cameo, I ESPECIALLY love Jimmy Sheirgill as Mihir, I love the way Rhea's mom roasts the French language while living in France, I love how every woman who came in contact with Karan was quickly done with his bullshit in a very visible way (feminism comes in all shapes and sizes and eye-rolls), I love how I was mouthing some lines because I grew up with this movie (THANK GOD), I love Abhishek's entry scene, I love the title track sequence (HUMMM HUM TUMMMM), and if you can't tell already, I absolutely love and adore everything about this precious movie. Except maybe the fact that the last couple of times I have watched it, it has made me ugly cry because I also want a wholesome relationship with my mom. But apart from that, perfect. 

Finally, I just want to say that I miss the rom-com era of Rani Mukerji. She literally owned the genre back in the day, I really hope she does a middle-aged rom-com sometime soon. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Aasai (1995)

Pokiri (2006)