Only Yesterday (1991)

This movie felt like a warm, cozy, and cleansing hug at the end of a long, exhausting week. I loved its gentle pacing, I loved the music, and I loved how real Taeko and the people around her felt. The movie's treatment of both the vagaries of growing up and the dilemmas faced by someone looking back was incredible- even though I am closer in age to the older Taeko, I still felt all the pain, embarrassment and joys of 10-year old Taeko keenly. As for the older one, I feel like I am in a whole other existential crisis quite different from hers, so I probably couldn't relate to her so much. Yes I know it's futile to carry your own baggage to "reviewing" movies but give me a break. It's been a long time since I have related to a character in a movie, that too female, and I will talk about it. 

Anyway, this movie is as close to a "must-watch" as it gets for me, and I think all women my age should watch it. And all Beatles fans too! The references made me smile so wide, even though they were barely two minutes long. Also, I love cloudy days too! *grey heart emoji*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Aasai (1995)

Pokiri (2006)