The Great Indian Kitchen (2021)

I don't think I have anything to say that hasn't been said about The Great Indian Kitchen (2021) already. 
It's a powerfully scathing look at how certain traditions of Indian patriarchy have managed to reconstitute and adapt themselves with the changing times, ensuring that women stay trapped in situations which do nothing for their personal growth.

Forget personal growth— these traditions actively harm women physically, socially, economically, psychologically, emotionally and mentally. Which is exactly what this movie tackles, in the best 'show, don't tell' way possible. 

Nimisha Sajayan's performance is easily one of the best of the year, cutting across industries. Suraj Venjaramoodu almost matched up to her, but let's face it, there's no one to truly match Queen Nimisha.

Also, the shots?? The ASMR-like quality of the food shots especially, which successfully lull you into a false sense of comfort, only to jolt you awake with the realisation that something so sinister lurks underneath and how we are all clowns to never have noticed it without it being pointed out to us at one point or another.

Do I make sense? I guess not. The sinister aspect is so deeply interwoven with my own personal experiences, especially those related to my mother, that I will need a lot more time before I can be coherent about it. 

My only complaint with the movie was with the ending. It should have ended with the husband's new wife in the kitchen. Show, don't tell!

And yes, I could feel the dirty utensils. If you couldn't, consider yourself lucky, blessed, whatever.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Aasai (1995)

Pokiri (2006)